Garland's Lodge: History - Cabins, Lodging, Bed and Breakfast, B&B, Sedona, AZ, Oak Creek Canyon
Most of Oak Creek Canyon was homesteaded in the late 1800's and early 1900's. The first structure at the Lodge, now the kitchen, was built in 1908 from pine trees felled above the property.
The Lodge was purchased in the late 20's by Frank and Catherine Todd, and their son, Bill. Old timers in the area reminisce about wonderful chicken dinners served after the arduous drive from Flagstaff.
Cabins were eventually built to accommodate these guests and the miners fom Jerome who came to fish in Oak Creek. The current dining room was added in '43, verified by a buffalo nickel found under the cornerstone.
Bill and Georgiana Garland, and their children were old acquaintances of the Todds, having spent many summers in Oak Creek to escape the heat of Phoenix. All elatedly agreed to purchase the Lodge as a family project when it was offered for sale in 1972.
Bill Garland brought the business expertise; Georgiana loaned family recipes, and piemaking techniques. The kids set to work, learning to garden, cook, and build cabins, determined to retain the original character of the place.
As the years went on, the family started Garland's Navajo Rugs, Garland's Indian Jewelry, and the Indian Gardens Trading Post. Gary and Mary Garland stayed on to run the Lodge, and with their excellent staff, are proud to maintain this Arizona tradition.